Chigwell Child and Family Centre
The Chigwell Child and Family Centre initiative improves the health and wellbeing, education and care of children from birth to five years by supporting parents and enhancing service accessibility in the local community. The building is an interactive play structure, a community hub combined with facilities for health support and outreach services.
Morrison & Breytenbach in assn with Scott & Ryland Architects
Winner Category 2: New Construction Major Facility
4 Bethune Street Chigwell Tasmania 7011 Australia
Tasmanian Department of Education and Morrison & Breytenbach
The Chigwell Child and Family Centre is a community hub delivering child centred educational and community programs, health support and outreach services in a socially and economically disadvantaged area. It is welcoming, comfortable, inclusive and accessible. It addresses social isolation and helps build community.
"As the winner, the jury selected a facility whose primary purpose is to promote the health, wellbeing and education of young children and their families in their local area. It is both a learning centre and a social hub for the community.
The Chigwell Child and Family Centre in Tasmania is built on a steep and narrow site with great views of the River Derwent. The building steps down through the site, maximising its potential for the creation of varied, challenging and exciting play spaces through the use of multiple levels connecting to outdoor decks.
The play spaces have been designed to foster adventurousness, imagination and complex scenarios using large and small spaces, varied elevations, colour and connectedness with nature.
Early stage consultation with the community was a vital aspect of building the trust essential for this integrated centre to be effective. The building became operational in October 2012 and has served to create a marvellous learning adventure for children and a safe social centre for families.
Congratulations to the Department of Education Tasmania, and Morrison & Breytenbach in association with Scott & Ryland Architects and Chigwell Child and Family Centre."
This page last updated: Friday 31 May 2013
2013 Regional Award Winners and Commendations
- Northern School for Autism
- Albany Senior High School
- Baldivis Secondary College, Stage 1
- Chigwell Child and Family Centre
- Massey University Student Amenities Centre
- Camberwell High School - Enterprise Centre
- NSW UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B Teaching & Learning Spaces
- Singapore International School (Hong Kong) Secondary School Campus
- Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership
- Early Learning Centre, St Monica's Primary, Wodonga
- Warrnambool College - Science and Language Centre
- Sustainable Learning Centre, Tasmania
- Places for Learning- Contemporary Designs in Education