St Michael's Grammar School, Allan Pizzey Building
Winner - Category 3 - An Educative Initiative or Design Solution for an Innovation Program
Winner, Category 3, An Educative Initiative or Design Solution for an Innovation Program
This is a project where the process of its birth and development is having as lasting an impact as the buildings themselves.
An intense and highly inclusive planning process in 2006 that involved students at all levels has produced a building that responded to students wishes and aspirations. Equally lasting is how that experience has informed learning and pedagogy in the school since and created an awareness of space and the opportunities of spaces that have lasted in the students that were part of the process and beyond. Three years after completion there is a great sense of ownership of the building. Also the voice given to students in 2006 is now reflected in skills and confidence in presentation, debating and discussion in all aspects of the curriculum.
This project is a great example of a thoughtful and exciting refurbishment of an existing facility. The design demonstrates an emphasis on student engagement through its use of colour and graphic imagery. The new library environment supports a variety of teaching and learning approaches and is an inviting space for students, essential for stimulating inquiry based learning.
Congratulations to the School and Architectus in daring to involve a whole school community in a process that is so often deliberately left to the "experts”!
This page last updated: Tuesday 11 September 2012
2011 Regional Award Winners & Commendations
- 2025 The Learning Continuum, ENVISION Student Partnership Program, NSW
- Adelaide West Specialist Education Centre, Taperoo, SA
- John Monash Science School, Monash University, Clayton Campus, Victoria
- Kororoit Primary School, Burnside Heights, Victoria
- Pymble Ladies' College, Senior Centre - Kate Mason Building, Pymble, NSW
- Sacred Heart Catholic School, Modernisation of Learning Facilities, Ulverstone Tasmania
- St Augustine's Catholic Primary School, Multi-Purpose Hall, Frankston South, Victoria
- St Brigid's School, Multi-Purpose Learning Centre, Kilburn, South Australia
- St Kevin's Primary School, New Learning Centre, Hampton Park Victoria
- St Michael's Grammar School, Allan Pizzey Building
- St Vincent De Paul Primary School, Strathmore VIC
- Western Autistic School, Laverton Victoria
- Yackandandah Primary School, Yackandandah VIC