Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
Tanner Kibble Denton Architects
Lennox Crossing Road Acton, ACT 2601 Australia
Steve Back and Danny Kildare
The Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing at the Australian National University was conceived as an integrated teaching facility to accommodate the Crawford School, Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) and the National Security College (NSC).
The Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing at the Australian National University was conceived as an integrated teaching facility to accommodate the Crawford School, Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) and the National Security College (NSC). This new building allows facilities to be shared between schools engaged in public policy at a national level and provides the forum for shared learning and cross fertilisation of ideas.
Built in two stages, this new 7,900m2 three storey building, situated on the Acton Peninsula within a bush setting, provides 5 x large lecture spaces (ranging from 55 seats up to 200 seats), 8 x teaching spaces, 5 x computer labs, academic and staff offices, 140 seat conference room and a cafe. This range of contemporary tertiary teaching spaces was developed in close consultation with the University, academic staff and students.
The building wraps around a dramatic external courtyard, providing a vibrant and active heart for the school where students, staff and visitors interact casually.
Internally, a central atrium provides an active public space that allows occupants and visitors to orientate themselves and access the teaching spaces. The atrium brings natural light deep into the floor plan and allows the public spaces to be naturally ventilated with automated glass louvres at high and low level. Open glazed stairwells, foyers and breakout spaces provide additional places to meet, work and collaborate – delivering a learning environment that extends beyond the classroom.
This page last updated: Thursday 3 April 2014
2014 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Arts and Senior Block, Mandurah Catholic College
- Aquinas College Early Years Learning Centre
- Brisbane Boys College Middle School Precinct
- Cornerstone College Incorporated ‘Paideia’
- Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
- ‘e’ Learning Centre – Chisholm Catholic College
- Geelong Lutheran College
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School & Girls Middle School
- Hale Junior School Arts Building
- JCU Education Central - James Cook University
- Joan Freeman Centre, SCEGGS
- Lake Windemere New Childrens Centre and Redevelopment
- Manufacturing Engineering Skills Centre (MESC) & Federation College (FedCol)
- Mirboo North Secondary College - Multi-Disciplinary
- MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
- Ngulla Mia Boarding Facility
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
- PLC Learning Resource Centre
- Reynella East College
- St Francis De Sales Primary School- Stage 3
- St. Francis Xavier College
- St Johns College Boarding Facility
- St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
- St Peter's College - Sr Rosemary Graham Building
- Stonefields School - Stage 2
- Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
- Tranby College Senior School & Administration Building
- Umuwa (APY) Trade Training Centre
- UWSCollege Teaching Facility - Bankstown Campus
- Victoria University Construction Hub