MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
NBRS + Partners - Andrew Duffin [Project Director] & Andrew Tripet [Project Architect]
Duffy Primary School 47 Burrinjuck Crescent Duffy, ACT 2611 Australia
NBRS+PARTNERS, FM Projects, UB
MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces are a system of a creative, modular, open planned modern learning environments. The installation at Duffy Primary School houses the equivalent of 7 classes, practical activity spaces, outdoor learning spaces, and staff areas. The project was modular in delivery, which allowed a fast, safe addition of exciting learning spaces for a school experiencing roll growth pressure.
MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces are a system of a creative, modular, open planned modern learning environments. The installation at Duffy Primary School houses the equivalent of 7 classes, practical activity spaces, outdoor learning spaces, and staff areas. The project was modular in delivery, which allowed a fast, safe addition of exciting learning spaces for a school experiencing roll growth pressure. At its core, the project's desire was to create the best learning environment possible and a modular delivery simply made sense for Duffy Primary School to achieve this.
The modular fabrication technique ensures precision quality control, embedded ESD, and a safe delivery method with very little disturbance to a busy operating school environment. Duffy Primary School's modules arrived with interior finishes complete, with services wired and plumbed ready for final connection and testing. The roof design was of particular interest as the client was keen to have the building “zipped up" for waterproofing and lockup as soon as it was assembled, to reduce risks during the commissioning period.
The briefing, design, and delivery time line was achieved within 12 months. The benefit of a fast on site delivery was significant in achieving a safe and purposeful result. From 1 September to 20 December 2013 the works were completed for all site, fabrication, delivery, assembly and commissioning activities.
NBRS worked closely with the client to achieve a site specific and pedagogical response. The modular design was not selected as a cheap option, rather to utilise a smarter, faster, cleaner, greener building method, with a relocatable outcome which is responsive to demographic pressures. NBRS' design reflected the client's emphasis on the need to reduce the demolition component and maximize recycling at the end of the building's life.
This page last updated: Thursday 3 April 2014
2014 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Arts and Senior Block, Mandurah Catholic College
- Aquinas College Early Years Learning Centre
- Brisbane Boys College Middle School Precinct
- Cornerstone College Incorporated ‘Paideia’
- Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
- ‘e’ Learning Centre – Chisholm Catholic College
- Geelong Lutheran College
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School & Girls Middle School
- Hale Junior School Arts Building
- JCU Education Central - James Cook University
- Joan Freeman Centre, SCEGGS
- Lake Windemere New Childrens Centre and Redevelopment
- Manufacturing Engineering Skills Centre (MESC) & Federation College (FedCol)
- Mirboo North Secondary College - Multi-Disciplinary
- MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
- Ngulla Mia Boarding Facility
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
- PLC Learning Resource Centre
- Reynella East College
- St Francis De Sales Primary School- Stage 3
- St. Francis Xavier College
- St Johns College Boarding Facility
- St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
- St Peter's College - Sr Rosemary Graham Building
- Stonefields School - Stage 2
- Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
- Tranby College Senior School & Administration Building
- Umuwa (APY) Trade Training Centre
- UWSCollege Teaching Facility - Bankstown Campus
- Victoria University Construction Hub