Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
2-20 Howqua Way Wyndham Vale, Victoria 3030 Australia
$1,962,000 (Including MP Hall Addition)
Learning Community 3 with the Hall extension is the final stage of development at Our Lady of the Southern Cross. This follows the completion of Learning Community 1; Administration; and the Multi-Purpose Hall. Master planned in 2007 for a long term enrolment of 450 students, the school has been designed as 3 Learning Communities, each to accommodate 150 multi-age students from Prep –Y6
Learning Community 3 together with the Hall extension is the final stage of development at Our Lady of the Southern Cross. This follows the completion of Learning Community 1; Administration; and the BER funded Multi-Purpose Hall.
Master planned in 2007 for a long term enrolment of 450 students, the school has been designed as 3 Learning Communities, each to accommodate 150 multi-age students from Prep –Y6.
It was clear at the outset that this school was going to be different from all others with the focus to move completely away from formal classrooms to a range of spaces for different activities and learning styles in a multi-age environment. Personalised learning, peer-to-peer collaborative learning and team teaching all influenced the architectural design of physical learning spaces.
The embedding of technology in the learning space – smart boards, networked and wireless connection to computers hand held devices adds to the flexibility demanded by the curriculum.
Students are grouped “Stage not Age” increasing engagement, they are taught to take increased responsibility for their learning. The teacher as a facilitator and working together with other teachers require far more planning and organization time. A large localized work area, surrounded by all their resources / photocopying needs has been provided.
A raised play within the main learning area caters for quieter more tactile activities or story time. Conference and meeting rooms are available for small group discussion, reading recovery or for staff use. Our Lady of the Southern Cross has been designed without a formal Library. The library functionality has been disbursed between the 3 learning communities allowing the library resources to be directly accessible to the students where they need it.
Learning Community 3 has a science/food specialist space developed which incorporates generous bench and sink areas at varying heights and an island bench, cooktop and storage space. A second wet area has been provided for Art and Construction with direct access off the learning space.
Internal spaces lead directly to landscaped outside learning areas protected by large covered eaves and provided with shade trees and seating.
This page last updated: Thursday 3 April 2014
2014 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Arts and Senior Block, Mandurah Catholic College
- Aquinas College Early Years Learning Centre
- Brisbane Boys College Middle School Precinct
- Cornerstone College Incorporated ‘Paideia’
- Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
- ‘e’ Learning Centre – Chisholm Catholic College
- Geelong Lutheran College
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School & Girls Middle School
- Hale Junior School Arts Building
- JCU Education Central - James Cook University
- Joan Freeman Centre, SCEGGS
- Lake Windemere New Childrens Centre and Redevelopment
- Manufacturing Engineering Skills Centre (MESC) & Federation College (FedCol)
- Mirboo North Secondary College - Multi-Disciplinary
- MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
- Ngulla Mia Boarding Facility
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
- PLC Learning Resource Centre
- Reynella East College
- St Francis De Sales Primary School- Stage 3
- St. Francis Xavier College
- St Johns College Boarding Facility
- St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
- St Peter's College - Sr Rosemary Graham Building
- Stonefields School - Stage 2
- Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
- Tranby College Senior School & Administration Building
- Umuwa (APY) Trade Training Centre
- UWSCollege Teaching Facility - Bankstown Campus
- Victoria University Construction Hub