St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
Carrick Street, Saltwater Estate Point Cook, Victoria 3030 Australia
$4,062, 058 + GST
This project a embodies a decade of pedagogical thinking and learning at Baldasso Cortese, bringing together current ideas in contemporary learning, community engagement, sustainability and technology to create a 21 century school for children that is a “Community Hub”. This new school represents the 1st step in a master plan developed in 2012 and sets an architectural and pedagogical precedent.
This project a embodies a decade of pedagogical thinking and learning at Baldasso Cortese, bringing together current ideas in contemporary learning, community engagement, sustainability and technology to create a 21 century school for children that is a “Community Hub”.
This new school represents the 1st step in a master plan developed in 2012 and sets an architectural and pedagogical precedent. An inclusive design process with the Catholic Education Office; Parish and School community has led to the creation of a large learning environment interconnected with specialist spaces and outdoor learning areas.
The creation of a large Modern Learning Environment accommodating 250 students provides challenges in creating appropriately scaled spaces, cost effective and efficient construction. An intentionally irregular floor plan has been achieved within a rational portal frame structure providing a variety of spaces internally that features large openings to achieve a highly porous learning environment without losing the sense of intimacy and fun. The overall transparency between spaces connects learners and creates a great sense of community. Each learning space has direct access to the 5 shared activity spaces. Multiple connections link interior to contained exterior learning spaces in all directions.
2 sculptural joinery pieces “Bee Hives” are focus within the 2 learning areas, creating opportunity for group and individual learning. The transparency of the “Bee Hives maintains connectivity. The structures are playful and give scale to learning.
The purpose designed performance space, which also accommodates large group assemblies, has tiered seating concealing deep drawers storage of sports and other equipment. A large mirror clad wall provides opportunity for dance whilst concealing storage all are covered by a green curtain providing acoustic treatment when not used for dance. High bandwidth IT infrastructure with wireless capability facilitates the transportability of the student’s multimedia devices. The school has purchased a suit of LCD TV’s with Apple TV to display and share student work and information.
A centrally located staff work and resource space is separated from the student areas to create a quiet and efficient work space, students are welcome to use the staff room to work one on one with teacher and provide for small group collaborative activities.
This page last updated: Thursday 3 April 2014
2014 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Arts and Senior Block, Mandurah Catholic College
- Aquinas College Early Years Learning Centre
- Brisbane Boys College Middle School Precinct
- Cornerstone College Incorporated ‘Paideia’
- Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
- ‘e’ Learning Centre – Chisholm Catholic College
- Geelong Lutheran College
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School & Girls Middle School
- Hale Junior School Arts Building
- JCU Education Central - James Cook University
- Joan Freeman Centre, SCEGGS
- Lake Windemere New Childrens Centre and Redevelopment
- Manufacturing Engineering Skills Centre (MESC) & Federation College (FedCol)
- Mirboo North Secondary College - Multi-Disciplinary
- MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
- Ngulla Mia Boarding Facility
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
- PLC Learning Resource Centre
- Reynella East College
- St Francis De Sales Primary School- Stage 3
- St. Francis Xavier College
- St Johns College Boarding Facility
- St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
- St Peter's College - Sr Rosemary Graham Building
- Stonefields School - Stage 2
- Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
- Tranby College Senior School & Administration Building
- Umuwa (APY) Trade Training Centre
- UWSCollege Teaching Facility - Bankstown Campus
- Victoria University Construction Hub