Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
17 Countess street Paralowie Adelaide, SA 5108 Australia
David Sievers Photography, Hodgkison
An inspiring project involving the master planning, design and development of a new two storey facility at Temple Christian College comprising a Performing Arts centre including Recital Hall, Music Suite, Dance Studio, Music Laboratories, Recording Studio, Practice Rooms, Change Rooms, General Learning Areas, Staff Room and Offices and a covered Verandah on each level.
Over the past six years Hodgkison has been involved in the master planning for the growth of this relatively newly established Secondary College in Adelaide. Over this time it has grown from an enrolment of 260 to 473 and now also provides facilities for year 12 students. In 2010 Hodgkison was engaged to undertake the design, documentation and project management services of a two storey Performing Arts Centre which was successfully completed in June 2013, providing a first class local facility where students and the community can learn and enjoy the performing arts.
This major facility includes a Recital Hall, AV Media Suite, Music Laboratories, Recording Studio, Dance Studio, 4 Practice Rooms, Change Rooms, Instrument Storage Room, 4 General Learning Areas, Staff Room, 2 Offices and a covered Verandah on each level.
Our aim was to create exciting and stimulating learning spaces with the application of bold colours and the use of innovative material treatments. Varying colour palettes were used to create individual identities for the interior spaces in the building and to stimulate visual thinking, problem solving and creativity.
Internally, walls and windows are layered, angled and facetted to achieve appropriate acoustic properties. We deliberately applied a subtle finishes palette to enhance the texture of the base building materials. The space essentially becomes a neutral backdrop for the students to fill with the colour and noise of their own musical and dramatic productions. Externally, the Recital Hall is centre stage around which all other activity circulates. Walls, doors and frames are all painted a dramatic rich red to accentuate it as a focal point.
The new building was completed within an existing, fully operational school facility which required exceptional planning and careful staging of the project works to ensure the meeting of strict project deadlines and the safety of existing students at all times.
The outcome has been embraced by the school and the broader community.
This page last updated: Thursday 3 April 2014
2014 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Arts and Senior Block, Mandurah Catholic College
- Aquinas College Early Years Learning Centre
- Brisbane Boys College Middle School Precinct
- Cornerstone College Incorporated ‘Paideia’
- Crawford Building and GJ Yeend Wing
- ‘e’ Learning Centre – Chisholm Catholic College
- Geelong Lutheran College
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School & Girls Middle School
- Hale Junior School Arts Building
- JCU Education Central - James Cook University
- Joan Freeman Centre, SCEGGS
- Lake Windemere New Childrens Centre and Redevelopment
- Manufacturing Engineering Skills Centre (MESC) & Federation College (FedCol)
- Mirboo North Secondary College - Multi-Disciplinary
- MODUPOD® Modular Learning Spaces
- Ngulla Mia Boarding Facility
- Our Lady of the Southern Cross Primary School- Stage 5
- PLC Learning Resource Centre
- Reynella East College
- St Francis De Sales Primary School- Stage 3
- St. Francis Xavier College
- St Johns College Boarding Facility
- St Mary of the Cross – Stage 1
- St Peter's College - Sr Rosemary Graham Building
- Stonefields School - Stage 2
- Temple Christian College Performing Arts Centre
- Tranby College Senior School & Administration Building
- Umuwa (APY) Trade Training Centre
- UWSCollege Teaching Facility - Bankstown Campus
- Victoria University Construction Hub