Bethany Christian School - Library & Multi-Purpose Space
DesignInc Adelaide Pty Ltd
37 Countess Street Paralowie , SA 5108 Australia
DesignInc Adelaide Pty Ltd
$2,333,881.45 ex GST
An extension to the Performing Arts Centre, the Library and Multi-purpose Space was designed to meet various needs of the school and greater community. The library replaces a previous inadequate, poor located space. The new Library embraces multiple teaching and learning methods.
Due to significant growth of the school over the past 10 years, key deficiencies within the existing facilities had been identified, which were affecting both teaching and learning. This resulted in the decision to build a new Library, Teacher Resources area and Multi-purpose Space.
The previous Library area was lacking in space for both students and resources. Only one class could use the space at a time, which limited student access to resources. Technology was limited due to the space constraints.
The new Library responds to the need for larger, more flexible space that can facilitate the changing directions in teaching and learning. Two distinct learning areas were created, both supported by smart screens, wireless connectivity, physical library resources and student computer areas. This allows for traditional, technology based and resource based learning methods as well as increasing the availability of resources for all students.
The library is attractive and inviting with a Story Telling area and wall seating nooks. There are a range of areas for small group and individual learning inclusive of flexible, comfortable furniture to encourage students to find a book, make themselves comfortable, and read. The library is full of activity at lunch with reading, chess, games and student driven book clubs all enjoying this space.
The building consolidates Teacher Resources to reduce the inefficiencies associated with the existing dispersed storage locations. The new resource area increases the efficiency and productivity of teacher preparation, which then benefits their teaching time within the classroom.
The Multi-purpose Space caters for Junior school assemblies, small performances by both the School and the greater church community, teaching space for multiple or single classes, function area (i.e. Year 7 Graduations, Youth Group meetings) and finally as a green room to the PAC. It was important throughout the design process to ensure that this space met the needs of the school as a priority, and then the wider community.
The final product is a bright, welcoming space that staff, students and the community want to use. It has become a 'hub ' within the school and community as envisaged in the project brief.
This page last updated: Tuesday 26 May 2015
2015 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Emmanus College, Main Street Library
- ANU Australian Centre on China in the World
- Bethany Christian School - Library & Multi-Purpose Space
- Brighton Grammar Middle School
- Brighton Secondary College, da Vinci Centre
- Brighton Secondary School Expansion
- Brisbane Girls Grammar School Research Learning Centre
- Comet Bay College Year 7 Facility
- Dalyellup College - Stage 2
- Deakin Trade Training Centre
- Dingley Primary School
- Duncraig Senior High School
- Emmaus Main Street Library
- Faith Lutheran College Year 7 Learning Centre
- Glenunga International High School
- Harvester Technical College WATTC
- Holy Cross College - Stage 3
- Klemzig PS Redevelopment
- La Salle College - Trade Skills Centre
- Mamre Anglican School
- Mirboo North Secondary College
- Mount Lawley Primary School
- Naunton Family Building
- O’Regan Arts and Cultural Common
- Our Lady of Sion College Performing Arts Centre
- Parkdale Family and Children’s Centre
- Peel Health and Community Training Centre
- Ringwood North Primary School
- Rouse Hill Anglican College - Stage 7
- Santa Maria College Performing & Creative Arts Centre
- Shellharbour Anglican College
- St Edwards Christian Brother’s College
- St John the Apostle - Stage 1
- Te Ara Hihiko College of Creative Arts
- The Mary’s Mount Centre, Loreto College Ballarat
- The Sheldon College LINQ Building
- The Tintern Schools Middle School
- Thomas Hassell Anglican College ’Anne Marsden School of Possibilities’
- Trinity Bay State High School Yr 7 Infrastructure
- UWSCollege New Educational Facility
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub & Library Upgrade
- Wattleview Primary School
- WIT Health & Science Building
- Yarra Valley Grammar Science Mathematics Building