UWSCollege New Educational Facility
John Baker, Maya Soeryanto and Allison Burrows
UWSCollege Building 17 Bullecourt Avenue Milperra , NSW 2214 Australia
The UWSCollege is a 5 Star Green Star – Educational Design rating project located at Bankstown and is a part of The University of Western Sydney. The new building houses 600 Students and has lecture theatres, flat-floor teaching spaces, network and multi-use computer labs, student administration and staff spaces.
The UWSCollege provides direct entry for students into The University of Western Sydney.
The 5 Star Green Star - Educational Design rating project at Bankstown comprises two three storeys rectangular blocks , offset – the junction accommodating a large open core, which is the heart of the project.
Orientated north/south, the blocks are ventilated using "mixed mode " louvres. The top two levels are joined by voids and expressed roof ventilators/skylights promote air movement by the 'stack effect '.
Lecture theatres and large seminar rooms open directly from the core. Their solid irregular exterior form of precast concrete identifies dual entries.Irregular ,slit , windows are covered with Pic-perf aluminium screens, conveying the image of branches – reflecting nearby trees and referencing the 'tree of knowledge '.
The structure is a concrete frame with drop-in precast floor planks. Throughout the building, the structure is exposed at the perimeter of most spaces.
Floating, perforated, acoustic mdf and plywood ceilings contain lighting, smoke detectors and other required services
A key design element greatly appreciated by the students is the creation of opportunities to meet and socialize in the central core space and the stairs on each level.
This page last updated: Tuesday 26 May 2015
2015 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Emmanus College, Main Street Library
- ANU Australian Centre on China in the World
- Bethany Christian School - Library & Multi-Purpose Space
- Brighton Grammar Middle School
- Brighton Secondary College, da Vinci Centre
- Brighton Secondary School Expansion
- Brisbane Girls Grammar School Research Learning Centre
- Comet Bay College Year 7 Facility
- Dalyellup College - Stage 2
- Deakin Trade Training Centre
- Dingley Primary School
- Duncraig Senior High School
- Emmaus Main Street Library
- Faith Lutheran College Year 7 Learning Centre
- Glenunga International High School
- Harvester Technical College WATTC
- Holy Cross College - Stage 3
- Klemzig PS Redevelopment
- La Salle College - Trade Skills Centre
- Mamre Anglican School
- Mirboo North Secondary College
- Mount Lawley Primary School
- Naunton Family Building
- O’Regan Arts and Cultural Common
- Our Lady of Sion College Performing Arts Centre
- Parkdale Family and Children’s Centre
- Peel Health and Community Training Centre
- Ringwood North Primary School
- Rouse Hill Anglican College - Stage 7
- Santa Maria College Performing & Creative Arts Centre
- Shellharbour Anglican College
- St Edwards Christian Brother’s College
- St John the Apostle - Stage 1
- Te Ara Hihiko College of Creative Arts
- The Mary’s Mount Centre, Loreto College Ballarat
- The Sheldon College LINQ Building
- The Tintern Schools Middle School
- Thomas Hassell Anglican College ’Anne Marsden School of Possibilities’
- Trinity Bay State High School Yr 7 Infrastructure
- UWSCollege New Educational Facility
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub & Library Upgrade
- Wattleview Primary School
- WIT Health & Science Building
- Yarra Valley Grammar Science Mathematics Building