Mercy College - Trade Training Centre and General Learning Area Facility
Corner Mirrabooka Ave and Beach Road, Koondoola, WA 6064
Stuart Neal, Murray Slavin
Designed to provide a healthy and sustainable learning environment to maximise learning potential, the project features excellent energy and water saving initiatives, and bright, functional and flexible learning spaces. A key feature is the ability to easily and efficiently transform the ground floor level of the building from a number of individual teaching space into a single examination hall.
Flexibility was the overriding requirement, to accommodate diverse teaching and learning styles, for both small and large student groups, and achieved via an open-plan approach throughout with operable walls.
Optimum use of Verandahs
When not in use for circulation, verandahs serve as covered breakout spaces as extensions to internal learning areas. East-facing verandahs and balconies were designed to take advantage of desirable views to the east and also serve as elevated viewing platforms for soccer academy games on the adjacent grassed ovals.
An elevated, walkway ‘spine’ in the Trade Training Centre provides teachers, staff and visitors the opportunity to observe and assess the teaching spaces below without disrupting the teaching and learning process.
Environmental features focus on providing maximum natural light, indirect evaporative cooling, automated louvers for night cooling and cross-ventilation to the above-ground learning areas whilst naturally cooled ventilation is supplied to sub basement areas.
Water capture and re-use in combination with water saving fixtures and fittings support other significant sustainability initiatives such as E-smart glazing , LED lighting, prefabrication techniques and economical Climate Wizard in lieu of traditional energy intensive air-conditioning.
The challenge of the sloping site was used to advantage – by locating ancillary facilities below the main structure instead of conventional retaining and fill.
Vehicle and pedestrian connections were well defined in readiness for the next stage of the Masterplan implementation. Servicing to the facility was also a key consideration and, despite the complex levels of the development, all off-loading is provided at grade.
This page last updated: Tuesday 24 May 2016
2016 Category 2 New Construction Major Facility
- Abbotsleigh Multi-Purpose School Assembly & Sports Hall
- Adelaide High School Expansion and Redevelopment
- Ashwood CLC (Collaborative Learning Centre)
- Benowa SHS - Year 7 Infrastructure & Entry Structure
- Billanook College (Discovery Centre)
- Brisbane State High School
- Cannon Hill Anglican College Lower Secondary Project
- Damascus Centre, St Paul’s High School
- Emanuel School
- Faith Lutheran College Information Hub
- Guildford Grammar Preparatory School Development
- Health, Education And Community Services Facility - The Durack Institute
- Ivanhoe Grammar Senior Years Centre
- John Curtin College of the Arts Yr 7
- LOYOLA CENTER - SHALOM COLLEGE
- St Luke's Anglican School Middle School Building
- Mercy College - Trade Training Centre and General Learning Area Facility
- Montagne Centre, Marist College
- Mount Pleasant Road Primary School
- Mt Maria College, St Benedict Building
- Multipurpose Hall, St Paul College
- Mundaring Christian College Parkerville Campus
- Newman College Auditorium
- Northern Beaches Christian School
- Salisbury East High School Performing Arts and Senior Students Centre
- Santa Maria College - Consilii Centre
- Scotch College Middle School
- Sir Thomas Playford Kindergarten
- St Catherine's Student Centre, Siena College
- St Mary’s College New Riverside Precinct, Ipswich
- Strathcona Learning Centre
- The Mandeville Centre
- UniSA Mt. Gambier Learning Centre
- Wattleview Primary School
- Westbourne Grammar School - Prep to Year 2 Facility
- Westminster Early Learning Centre and Upper Primary
- Wilderness School Science and Humanities Centre
- Woodleigh Homesteads