Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership
The Bastow Institute is an adaptive reuse of the heritage listed former state school designed by Henry Bastow. Combining both meticulous restoration work and a dynamic contemporary addition, the Bastow Institute is a 21st century learning environment embedded with history and character which functions as a training facility for Victorian teachers.
Drew Carling - Maddison Architects
Commendation Category 3: Renovation/ Modernisation/ Over $2m
603 Queensberry St North Melbourne, VIC 3051 Australia
The brief from the client began as an aspiration to provide a unique training facility for educators to become better leaders. Developing the functional brief with the client, it became apparent that a deep understanding of teaching and learning methods was essential to the design. Different modes of learning require different environments, and Bastow Institute continually aims to enrich and extend these experiences.
"There was a wide range of projects in this category reflecting the reality that most schools and learning facilities are developed through a constant process of change and adaption. The jury members were particularly impressed by a number of projects that transformed old didactic learning settings into attractive new settings for more individual and collaborative learning.
Commendation was given for Bastow Institute for Education Leadership in Victoria. This project was an exemplary transformation of a heritage-listed school into a professional development facility for the new generation of educational leaders. This facility demonstrates excellence in design in terms of its sensitive treatment of the original heritage buildings, a contrasting but respectful 21st Century extension, ecological sustainability and flexible learning spaces. The facility will inspire educational leaders towards the achievement of similar design excellence in their own schools.
Congratulations to Maddison Architects and the Bastow Institute for Educational Leadership."
This page last updated: Friday 31 May 2013
2013 Regional Award Winners and Commendations
- Northern School for Autism
- Albany Senior High School
- Baldivis Secondary College, Stage 1
- Chigwell Child and Family Centre
- Massey University Student Amenities Centre
- Camberwell High School - Enterprise Centre
- NSW UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B Teaching & Learning Spaces
- Singapore International School (Hong Kong) Secondary School Campus
- Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership
- Early Learning Centre, St Monica's Primary, Wodonga
- Warrnambool College - Science and Language Centre
- Sustainable Learning Centre, Tasmania
- Places for Learning- Contemporary Designs in Education