NSW UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B Teaching & Learning Spaces
The ground floor of UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B, has been transformed into a series of informal teaching and learning spaces for the next generation of learners. They enable a spectrum of learning activities from formal collaborative tasks, experimental teaching, to focused individual study or simply as a place to just hang out.
Winner Category 3 - Renovation / Modernisation/ Over $2M
Darling Drive Haymarket, NSW Australia
Georgia Singleton / Jo Dane
Details not supplied
The project was initiated to address a gap in the provision of learning spaces at UTS. Students fed back to UTS that they wanted places where they could study informally, spaces that were less formal than existing library spaces, but more structured than café-type spaces. The concept of the ‘sticky campus’ arose out of the briefing process, challenging the design team to create spaces that would encourage students to stay on campus for longer.
"The winner for the category is a tertiary education facility.
At UTS in Sydney, previously neglected and under-appreciated “in between” spaces of Building 5, Blocks A and B have been transformed into a succession of informal learning spaces. As a result, some of the least attractive parts of this campus are now its most popular and flexible spaces for individual and collaborative learning. For students who have the capacity to learn "anywhere at anytime" this facility has succeeded in its objective of contributing to the creation of a “sticky campus” where the attractiveness of the informal learning spaces entices students to spend more time on campus.
Congratulations to Woods Bagot and UTS."
This page last updated: Friday 31 May 2013
2013 Regional Award Winners and Commendations
- Northern School for Autism
- Albany Senior High School
- Baldivis Secondary College, Stage 1
- Chigwell Child and Family Centre
- Massey University Student Amenities Centre
- Camberwell High School - Enterprise Centre
- NSW UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B Teaching & Learning Spaces
- Singapore International School (Hong Kong) Secondary School Campus
- Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership
- Early Learning Centre, St Monica's Primary, Wodonga
- Warrnambool College - Science and Language Centre
- Sustainable Learning Centre, Tasmania
- Places for Learning- Contemporary Designs in Education