Sustainable Learning Centre, Tasmania
The Sustainability Learning Centre (SLC) is a unique partnership between the Tasmanian Department of Education, the Catholic Education Office, the Association of Independent Schools of Tasmania, Greening Australia (Tas) and CSIRO Education. The partnership combines a number of disciplines to provide a unique educational experience focussing on science, biodiversity and sustainability. Project funding came from the Local Schools Working Together pilot program of the Department of Education, Employment & Workplace Relations.
Morrison & Breytenbach
Commendation Category 5 - An Education Initiative or a Design Solution for an Innovative Program
50 Olinda Grove Mt Nelson, Tasmania 7007 Australia
Tasmanian Department of Education and Morrison & Breytenbach
The Sustainability Learning Centre is an energy efficient contemporary facility integrating inspiring architecture and exemplary sustainable design.
"There were a limited number of entries in this category.
The judges were looking for an entry that represented an innovation having the potential to extend its influence well beyond those who immediately benefited from it. The jury decided not to nominate a winner for this category as no submission was able to demonstrate a degree of innovation that had the widespread applicability worthy of such an award.
Two entries were considered worthy of commendation - one was the Sustainability Learning Centre at Mount Nelson in Tasmania.
This "Local Schools Working Together" project was notable for the manner in which the government, Catholic and independent sectors joined together with CSIRO and Greening Australia to develop an education and administration facility that exemplifies its educational aim in every part of its design and execution.
Starting with the fact that 98% of the building fabric is from recycled materials, the building has been assessed as being carbon negative with a carbon footprint of 1% of an equivalent conventional building.
Congratulations to Morrison and Breytenbach Architects and the Tasmanian Department of Education."
This page last updated: Friday 31 May 2013
2013 Regional Award Winners and Commendations
- Northern School for Autism
- Albany Senior High School
- Baldivis Secondary College, Stage 1
- Chigwell Child and Family Centre
- Massey University Student Amenities Centre
- Camberwell High School - Enterprise Centre
- NSW UTS Building 5, Blocks A & B Teaching & Learning Spaces
- Singapore International School (Hong Kong) Secondary School Campus
- Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership
- Early Learning Centre, St Monica's Primary, Wodonga
- Warrnambool College - Science and Language Centre
- Sustainable Learning Centre, Tasmania
- Places for Learning- Contemporary Designs in Education